Media Advisory on Her Royal Highness the Infanta Doña Cristina to open the GAVI Fund Board welcoming ceremony
- Her Royal Highness the Infanta Doña Cristina will preside the opening ceremony of the GAVI Fund Board Meeting, taking place in the Palacio Santa Cruz.
- The GAVI Fund Board sets strategies to mobilise resources to support the GAVI Alliance immunization goals. The GAVI Alliance is an alliance of all the major stakeholders in immunisation. For the first time, its meeting will take place in Spain, on 10 and 11 July.
- The government of Spain, following previous commitments announced by the President, officially ratified last Friday, its contribution to GAVI through the IFFIm (International Finance Facility for Immunisation), a new innovative funding mechanism. The government has committed US$240 millions over the next 20 years.
- The opening ceremony on Monday 10 July, followed by a reception, will highlight the new collaboration between the government of Spain and GAVI, in line with its commitment to the Millennium Development Goals, and especially the reduction of child mortality in the poorest countries in the world.
- Chaired by HRH the Infanta Doña Cristina, the opening ceremony will gather, among other eminent personalities: Spain Health Minister Elena Salgado; Graça Machel - Chair of the GAVI Fund Board; Dr Julian Lob-Levyt - Executive Secretary of GAVI; Professor Pedro Alonso; Spain Minister of Foreign Affairs Undersecretary, Spain International Cooperation Agency General Secretary.
Monday 10 July 2006
Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Palacio de Santa Cruz
Plaza de la Provincia, 1
The journalists wishing to cover the ceremony should register with their name, ID or passport, and media they belong to via firstname.lastname@example.org